Mayweather vs Ortiz 24/7 Poster From HBO Boxing


Here's the poster for the upcoming "24/7" series devoted to the September 17 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Victor Ortiz, which will be live on HBO pay-per-view. "24/7" debuts this Saturday, August 27, at 10 p.m. The show was originally paired with the Robert Guerrero vs Marcos Maidana fight, but as I'm sure everyone has heard by now, that's off.
Mayweather_vs_ortiz_247_poster_medium
This could possibly be the most, um, lively "24/7" to date. My favorite series thus far has definitely been the Mayweather vs Hatton edition, but I thought the Mayweather vs Mosley series had the best ending:
What can I say? I'm a sentimental guy, and I love theatrics.
What I do deeply fear for this series is the idea that Mayweather will be Mayweather, but without a strong counterpart. I didn't love "24/7" at first because Oscar de la Hoya didn't seem comfortable and natural. Oscar had great charisma, but mostly in the ring, and in still photos. Mayweather's a great talker. When you put him against someone like the fun-loving Hatton, or the calm veteran Mosley, or the urine-drinking Juan Manuel Marquez, you have a nice contrast. But Victor Ortiz is a talker (he says he isn't, but he is) who exaggerates (he says he doesn't, but he does), somewhat like Floyd, but different, and really more like Oscar.
But I'm not the judge of all tastes, and I also believe Victor, like Oscar did, has the potential to appeal to a whole lot of people. This fight, and this promotion, is his multi-million dollar opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts